Getting started with YouTube Content ID
HOW DOES THE YOUTUBE CONTENT ID SERVICE COLLECT THE MONEY I’VE EARNED?
YouTube Content ID tracks down and collects revenue for artists & Labels when their sound recordings are used anywhere on YouTube.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF OPTING INTO THIS PLATFORM?
- Artists can choose to monetize their own YouTube Channel or whitelist their channel to prevent Tunetradr monetization claims
- Tunetradr submits eligible tracks to YouTube on your behalf
- The YouTube Content ID system identifies artists’ sound recordings & revenue
- Tunetradr collects the revenue from YouTube on your behalf
- Tunetradr deposits money directly into artists’ Tunetradr accounts each 6 month
- The platform is free to opt into, and artists keep 50% of collected revenue
WHAT HAPPENS WHEN I OPT-IN?
- When you opt-in, your releases go through a vetting process. At this stage, your Content ID Revenue Dashboard will show these tracks are processing
- The tracks that are found eligible under our terms and conditions are sent to YouTube. If a track is found ineligible, you will also see that on your dashboard
- YouTube creates a fingerprint (digital indicator) of the eligible tracks and scans all videos on the platform for matches where your music is used
- Tunetradr collects the revenue from the videos that use your sound recordings and sends 50% of it directly to your Tunetradr Account
WHICH TYPES OF RIGHTS ARE ELIGIBLE TO MONETIZE?
There are two kinds of “rights”:
- Sound Recording (Audio)
- Publishing (Composition)
The YouTube Content ID service monetizes the first right, Sound Recording (Audio).
WHAT DO THE TERMS “MONETIZATION” AND “MONETIZE” MEAN?
“Monetization” is the act of making money on goods or services. Artists earn money from their sound recordings on YouTube videos when ads have been placed on the videos. YouTube’s Content ID service “monetizes” (identifies and collects revenue from) those sound recordings for you.
WHAT’S THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN “ELIGIBLE” SOUND RECORDINGS THAT I CAN MONETIZE AND “INELIGIBLE” SOUND RECORDINGS THAT I CAN NOT MONETIZE ON YOUTUBE?
Eligible: You can submit specific tracks to YouTube for revenue collection that:
- Use only your own material for which you have exclusive rights
- Use third-party material for which you have exclusive rights
Ineligible: You cannot submit tracks to YouTube for revenue collection that:
- Contain instrumental content that has previously been used in other tracks (such as samples or beats) even if it’s now exclusively licensed to you
- Contain any ambient sound effects (like nature sounds), production loops (such as GarageBand loops), or samples from audio libraries (like Musicbed or AudioJungle)
- Are meditation, yoga, or sleep music
- Contain 10+ consecutive seconds of spoken word material
- Contain public domain clips or speeches
- Are karaoke, soundalike, or tribute cover versions
- Are covers of traditional or public domain songs, including but not limited to: children’s music, classical pieces, holiday songs, religious songs/hymns
- Are part of a compilation, Various Artists release, DJ set, or continuous mix
- You have previously licensed to a third party, on an exclusive basis
- Are already monetized on YouTube by another distributor
- Are video game, TV, or film soundtracks (unless you are the publisher)
- Were created solely for use in YouTube videos to exploit Content ID (e.g. music used for end cards)
Violations of these guidelines may lead to permanent blocking of your account from this service.
DOES TUNETRADR MONETIZE MY SOUND RECORDINGS IF THEY HAVE BEEN INCLUDED IN VIDEOS UPLOADED BY OTHER PEOPLE TO YOUTUBE?
If you opt into this service, we will monetize all YouTube videos in which other people have used your music and where ads have been placed on those videos. We’ll even monetize the tracks on your own YouTube channel (unless you decide to whitelist or exclude it).
Please note that we can only monetize videos with exact audio matches – this means that alternative versions of your song (e.g., live or cover versions) cannot be claimed via this service.
WHAT ARE THE TYPES OF ADS THAT CAN APPEAR ON MY VIDEOS?
- Display ads (i.e. banners)
- Overlay in-video ads
- TrueView in-stream ads
- Non-skippable in-stream ads
These ads can range from a simple banner to an actual commercial. More than one advertisement may be linked to your video at any given time, which can mean additional monetization income for you. You can learn more about the different types of ads here.
HOW MUCH MONEY CAN I MAKE ON YOUTUBE?
It depends on various factors, including how often your music is used. The more people upload and stream your music, the more you can earn from your sound recordings.
CAN I MONETIZE MY MUSIC ON YOUTUBE BY MYSELF?
In order to collect the most money from the use of your music in other people’s videos, you need access to YouTube’s backend system. Access to that is typically restricted to large labels, publishers, and distributors. Plus, you need the training and knowledge to navigate YouTube’s complex system to collect revenue and manage rights disputes. Tunetradr’s Content ID team manages these monetization tasks for you. If you choose to monetize your own channel yourself, you have the option to whitelist that channel and prevent Tunetradr claims on your videos.
WHY AM I SEEING A CLAIM ON A MONETIZED VIDEO?
Because you are a customer, you and other people using your music on YouTube will get a YouTube notification stating that Tunetradr has claimed your sound recording. The notification means that Tunetradr is officially collecting money on your behalf. Tunetradr’s claims do not block videos unless you request us to do so. These claims are not copyright strikes and do not negatively affect the status of your channel.
WHAT DOES IT MEAN FOR ME TO WHITELIST MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL?
To whitelist means to “exclude”. If you do not want Tunetradr to collect revenue for your sound recordings on your channel, you can set your Channel Preferences to whitelist (exclude) your YouTube channel.
IF I WHITELIST MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL, WILL THIS SERVICE STILL COLLECT REVENUE THAT DOES NOT COME FROM MY CHANNEL FOR ME?
Yes, we will still monetize videos that are not part of your whitelisted channel.
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE FOR VIDEOS TO BECOME MONETIZED ON YOUTUBE?
Once you’ve signed up to send your tracks to YouTube Content ID, it can take up to a month for YouTube’s Content ID matching system to find all the videos across the platform that are using your sound recordings. This process can take even longer for older videos (it will first scan new videos and the most popular videos). However, now that your tracks are in the system, if a new video is created containing your sound recording, the match should be instantaneous.